Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

What Does it Mean to be Human?

Let's face it, the question-title of this post is not something you find on the FAQ page of most websites, technical manuals or brains. Some thoughts from the midnight hour.

I don't let anything encroach on my sleep so, without opening an eye, I grabbed my moleskine (set aside especially for this purpose) and scrawled a few words in slanty, disjointed type in hope that, one day, I may riddle the mysterious vocables together to answer the above question.

That day, my friends, is today.

Genesis 1 "YHWH Elohim took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."

Now it seems to me than man is made to be above creation and below God. This idea isn't completely new, most Christian ideas aren't - in fact NT Wright pretty much says what I just said, so now no-one can scholastically marginalise anyone else for plagiarism because we are all friends. Magic.

So what does 'under God' mean? I would suggest, in all my youth and academic naivety, that it means that in the great order of things, we are positioned to give glory to God above and for his good pleasure. 'Over creation' is a fairly controversial topic at the moment - shall we destroy the planet because we think God will destroy it eventually himself, or do we preserve it because we are still gardeners?

Now our temptation, as man, is to take our position over creation and use it to glorify ourselves or use it solely for our pleasure. We play God with ourselves. This is called sin in the technical language and self-deification is the root of it all. We want to be like God, oh wait - we already are? No, we want to be God. This not only disrupts our relationship with God, but also something within our own humanity. We can't separate ourselves from our sin and say that it only matters in our soul compartment, there are no compartments, every cell holds our soul. Neither can we say that our abuse of our position over creation does not affect us, we see that now, what happens to our earth, happens to us. We destroy it and we destroy ourselves. Utterly depraved. Besides the inherent wholeness of God, there is nothing left that hasn't been skewed by our love affair with ourselves.

So now, how do we reclaim what it means to be human?

All through the story of Scripture we see this word sacrifice. It takes the sacrifice of something to right this, but how? When the chosen family sacrificed an animal, part of a crop, part of a wage, a day of the week or a meal, they were taking a part of something that they had control over and giving it up solely for the pleasure and glory of God.

So sacrifice restores the balance, the order, the shalom of life and what it means to be human.

Perhaps when we're sacrificing we are as close as we can be to what God originally intended. When was it said that Jesus glorified God the most, when he taught with groundbreaking insight or when he gave it all up for the glory and pleasure of God? Make no mistake, Jesus restored our relationship with him through his death, but his eyes were not on us (although our ego would like it) his eyes were on his Father, seeking only to do his will, and thankfully, his will is perfect, restorative and benevolent. The created order was restored through the supreme, worshipful sacrifice of Christ.

When we sacrifice, we take what we have dominion over and instead of using it for our own deification we use it for what it was originally meant for - the worship of God.

But none of this makes it easier. Sacrifice still sucks because we still rage against our broken humanity. It is only through being found in Christ that we can even hope to live in a restored manner. And it is only through sacrifice that Christ was able restore us anyway. Huh, interesting, sacrifice keeps the world turning.

So to restore the balance, our relationship with God, creation and yes, even ourselves requires the voluntary sacrifice of our entire lives for the pleasure and glory of God.

Welcome to true life. It'll kill you but, paradoxically, you'll never feel more alive, more restored, more human.

10 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

It's beginning to sound a bit of a cliché, but welcome to the noise!

I hope, we hear much, much, much more from you.

You go girl!

I can't turn this comment into something beyond recognition for the moment, but kudos for layin' the smack down.

Simon Elliott said...

Ok, I may be saving cacophonists from a rant here (or perhaps this is just me warming up for one) but the 'just tear it down and burn it up' brigade have long hung their hats on 2 Peter 3:10 as fuel for a flagrant disregard for God's holy creation.

2 Peter 3:10 (NIV)
10But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

My fine lecturer last year, Rikki Watts, was quick to point out that this one poorly translated verse was responsible for careless stewardship by millions of 'bible-believing' christians...

Let's hear the same verse from Eugene:
10But when the Day of God's Judgment does come, it will be unannounced, like a thief. The sky will collapse with a thunderous bang, everything disintegrating in a huge conflagration, earth and all its works exposed to the scrutiny of Judgment.

Not surprisingly, both of these guys were teaching at Regent at the same time.

The deal is this: the verse is saying (well the greek was) that the spiritual forces of darkness will be fried beyond a crisp and the earth will be laid bare before Yahweh.

In effect, the earth will not be lost. The earth will be found. Restored again with its creator and rid of all that tainted it.

Hug a tree today. It's a start at least.

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare
Is this you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_O'Neil

Anonymous said...

When I lived in Vancouver I did some research into the history of salmon in the Pacific Northwest. It was incredible to read about the people (generally christians) who 'settled' the area (much to the disappointment of the First Nations people). In lots of the research I read they spouted verses about subduing the earth - exercising dominion and what-not. In this instance that translated to ripping up as many salmon as they could, building a bunch of dams to make it easier and so on. All of this has been a disaster for salmon stocks and riverbanks––something they contend with to this day.

Now I'm no deep ecologist, but could it be that at some point we exercise our stewardship / dominion by staying the hell away? Maybe that (in a small way) points to some of the sacrifice Clare is talking about.

Kudos for this:

"... Jesus restored our relationship with him through his death, but his eyes were not on us (although our ego would like it) his eyes were on his Father..."

Clare said...

Simon - thanks for the welcome. Midnight hour theology is my speciality. I'm wrestling with eschatology which is handy, because it's one of my units this semester. I'm starting to think that restoration is what is happening to us and the planet, there are parts that are meant to die and parts that will become alive and keep on living forever.

Sez - unfortunately (or very fortunately - depending on how you see it) I'm not too involved with politics. I take care with who I vote for, but I am also a fierce swinger. I'm leaving wikipedia alone, you can already find me on enough sites, some lovely men from Namibia have made it their night's work to inform me that it's easy to find me in more than one place and ask me to marry them.

Brad - Thanks for the kudos, I find that the concept of grace hits with full force when you realise that the cross wasn't all about 'me'. A resplendent, disconcerting thing is grace, which is why the word is tattooed on my wrist - to comfort me and scare me out of my skin.

I agree with you about ecology. Work with the earth, as opposed to just working it. It's not our slave.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Jesus is what it means to be human. Adam had a glimpse of it, and since then we've been trading in the sub-human.

Clare said...

Wonderful thought Kieran, I like that you challenge me. Personally, I have always found sacrifice 'because it's good for me' hollow - like eating broccoli as a child.

I wonder, if we really got into this restored balance, whether we would be so thankful that sacrifice was a natural response? If it wasn't something we did only because it was good for us, more like 'of course, what else would I be doing?'

We are, and we aren't, there yet. As Brad said - still subhuman. Living in the already/not yet is full of this tension. I kind of like it.

Thankyou for your thought-provoking comment :)

Simon Elliott said...

Clare: Tell us about Grand Rapids...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.