Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Love's pain

Some are shocked at the intensity of the tear of separation, particularly when they are able to connect with others so deeply. Others are ‘surprised by joy’ at the overwhelming emotion of glimpsing a truly loving community, because somewhere in their childhood they lost their ‘home’.

The former more than likely traverse Himalayan-style across the emotional terrain of life; the latter can often struggle to experience the potential mountain peaks and valleys because they have learned to harden their heart. You see, the trouble with love is that you are not able to accept the amazing wonder of intimate trust and affection without the incredible vulnerability of being hurt in places no weapon of physical design can penetrate. Even a parting of ways can cause profound emotional distress simply because ‘life goes on.’

And yet, If I am to learn anything from this observation, I find that the joy that comes from being able to genuinely love another in friendship contains an infinite font of riches worth any pain of separation that is somewhat inevitable.

But I also know that my willingness to take such a risk comes from knowing that I am first loved by my heavenly Father: only He can provide the strength to love in light of the knowledge of such a vulnerable risk.

“I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.” - Isaiah 42:16


[Inspired by A. Powell’s "Au revoir. Goodbye."]

1 comment:

Simon Elliott said...

Keep risking Douggie..I'm cheerin' on!