Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Top 5: Fun reasons for not wearing glasses anymore or: I can see clearly now the rain has gone

I had laser surgery on my eyes last night. While it hasn't been something I've been contemplating for a long time, I'm sure glad I went ahead.

The procedure (it was Lasek surgery I had) involves peeling back the epithelium to get at the cornea where the adjustment to the focal length can be made.

I guess the diagram tells the story. They slice and peel, then fry, then replace and seal...with a whole lot of different eye drops along the way.

In order to diminish the sound (though not the smell) of the laser part of the procedure they had the doof-doof pumping through the operating theatre at fair volume. For the record, the theme song of my left eye from hereon is 'Billie Jean' and for the right eye 'Living on a Prayer'.

Last night it felt a bit like you would if you'd spent a long day in a heavily chlorinated pool with no goggles. It stung and it was cloudy as all get out. I slept with very attractive goggles taped to my head last night and will for the best part of a week (photos coming soon) - just so I'm not tempted to gouge my eyes out through the night. I also need to put eye-drops in pretty much every waking hour for a few weeks and, every 3-4 hours, put in two different kinds of eye-drops: anti-inflammatory and anaesthetic.

At 7.40am this morning I had my first post-surgery review. While still improving (it will be up to 12 weeks before it is completely healed) my eyesight, with a little cloudiness, is 20/20. Blimmin' amazing. I keep realising I can see stuff without glasses!

Anyway, all that is a preamble to my Top 5 Fun reasons for not having to wear glasses. (Bear in mind, it could be a changeable list - I've been wearing glasses for the last 18 years so the Top 5 is more anticipated than realised!)

1. I expect to be able to pull a new born child right into me without a glass, plastic and metal barrier as an obstacle
2. I'll be able to read lyrics at the back of the auditorium when I'm worship leading...
3. My runs will be more vivid and picturesque - and I'm probably more likely to be able to reciprocate when someone approaches me during a run and says 'G'day Simon' (rather than having absolutely no idea who just said hello!)
4. The sides of my nose will no longer suffer
5. I can buy sunglasses...and actually use them (ie. no taking off/putting on procedure required)

Bonus#1: When I'm watching a DVD at home, I'll be able to lie on my side without causing pain to the rest of my face caused by glass impingement!
Bonus#2: No more fishing contact lenses out of the back of my head!
Bonus #3: I don't have to wear glasses anymore
Bonus #4: I don't have to WEAR glasses anymore
Bonus #5: No need for windscreen wipers on a rainy day


4 comments:

garrick field said...

you are a brave man, and dead sexy with those goggles on, that'll be huge on the runways of milan, so avante garde.

Simon Elliott said...

Yeah, Bono...with tape

Gráinne O'Donovan said...

Blimmin' brilliant! I'm happy for you (and for Fi!) I like the way you made the photo of your red eyes blurry. So we could empathise, I guess.

Simon Elliott said...

that's just the less than adequate photographic skills of Claire Dunjey...