Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Psalm Despatch #1
Getting your Psalm on...

Tonight at 9CC (a gathering of fine folk out the back of our place) we kicked off our series in the Psalms with Psalms of the Hymnic variety. 'The function of a Hymn or Psalm of Descriptive Praise is to praise God because He is God, and we know He is because we have cried to Him and He has acted. While Thanksgiving Psalms begin with deliverance of God in history and end in praise, hymns assume deliverance and God’s actions in history, and praise God for being the kind of God who acts in certain ways.'

One of the things we're encouraging within 9CC is the writing of Psalms and the sharing of those within the community. The plan is to write Psalms consistent with the next 9CC theme.
But why should you cacophonists miss out on the fun, eh? If you're up for it, write away and let's get an ensemble of them happening right here. Gidiup!

SO, to kick things off, here's a hymnic Psalm. Well it could be a thanksgiving Psalm, but it's somewhere in that ball park.

Magnificent

God is magnificent
Shout it loud
God is magnificent
Don't be half-hearted about it.

He redeems the sinner
He upholds the saint
He encourages the downhearted.

So many times I drop the bundle,
You pick it up.
You make me whole.
You empower me, cleanse me, renew me, resource me, equip me.
You lead me.

God is great. God is magnificent.
Wear him well.
Live Him loud and at high volume.
Be the best Jesus billboard you can be.
He's worth it.
He's a multiplier. He's a satisfier. He sets my heart on fire.
He is magnificent. He is my redeemer.
He is magnificent.

February 2003

No comments: