Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Wisdom: The Mini Series.
Part 2 - Adultery, Folly and Foolishness, oh my!

Semi-Organised thoughts on Proverbs

At the window of my house I looked out through the lattice. I saw among the simple, I noticed among the young men, a youth who lacked judgment. He was going down the street near her corner, walking along in the direction of her house...

Then out came a woman to meet him…Come let's drink deep of love till morning; let's enjoy ourselves with love. My husband is not at home; he has gone on a long journey…With pervasive words she led him astray, she seduced him with her smooth talk. All at once he followed her, like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose…little knowing it will cost him his life…Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death.

Solomon, like Mr T, pitied the fool. Whether Solomon is describing an actual event, or a collective road well traveled by men around him, there is lament in his heart at what he sees. Solomon dedicates Chapters 5 to 9 on adultery and folly, so I am thinking it weighed heavy on his heart. It’s my guess that he’s seen a number of men around him fall; not forgetting also that he is the son of David, remember the guy who had that nasty little incident with Bathsheba. I wonder if he knew about that too, and felt the shame that was caused in his family.

I have seen some friends go down the path of adultery, both real and virtual (online counts in this one too). I’ve seen the pain that this mistake makes to both sides of the marriage with some very close friends of mine a while back, as one partner took the marriage and threw it away. And while we are not to judge, but to embrace those around us who go through this, Proverbs is very clear about the consequences of these actions and very sadly I can testify I’ve seen these consequences come to pass in the lives of my friends, no matter how much support I gave them:

Keep a path far from her; do not go near the door of her house, lest you give your best strength to others and your years to one who is cruel, lest strangers feast on your wealth and your toil enrich another man’s house….the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.

Proverbs provides strong warning, but also great encouragement:

Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well…Let them be yours alone, never to be shared with strangers. May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth…(some sexual bits)…may you ever be captivated by her love!

I love what Proverbs say about being corrected by wisdom:

Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; but rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

What does this say about who we choose to rebuke? A fool won’t understand, he’ll pull away from you, you may lose a friend. But a wise man will see the error of his ways, he’ll realize the great mistake you are saving him from, and a greater friend you will find. But it provides a commentary on our heart also; how do I act when I’m corrected, what’s my reaction, is my heart grateful, or is my pride just hurt at having to be corrected and I should have known better: in fact I do know better, I was just doing this one little thing over here and its not really what it looks like, you’ve got it so wrong. And, look bro, you’ve got some serious plank-eye anyway, man I could tell you a few things about your life and see how you like it…..

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. For through me you days will be many, and years will be added to your life. If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.

The more I read, the more I see that wisdom is not just a thing to have to help us make decisions about making lots of money, buying the right car and marrying the right girl, and after that we can put wisdom back in its box. No, it’s a way of life, a texture that permeates every aspect, like yeast in a dough. For if we are thinking and acting in the wisdom of the Lord, then surely the latitude for foolishness diminishes, and is not the latitude for self is diminished also.

So how do we get it? Maybe in Part 3 I’ll try and organize some thoughts about that.

5 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

Yeah, nice work Garrick. If you haven't seen infidelity ruin those around you, you've lived... actually, I was going to write 'a blessed life' there but I felt constrained. In some ways, you've lived a rare life. I think your life can be blessed either way.

That's not the point of my comment though. The havoc that infidelity can wreak on the generations to follow is what makes it such folly.

There's a cumulation of experience that, when submitted to the headship of a wise, loving and graceful heavenly father, can produce wisdom. And there's also the redemption from the stupid. We all do stupid things. I do. But our actions can reverberate as well. Our actions can become the baggage of our children. And our children's children. And...Monty Python moment.

Thankfully, Jesus rescues us from that as we submit our thoughts and our actions to him. Not all of our best wisdom is ours. As you quote, our knowledge and fear of the Lord begins a path to wisdom. He is to be feared because he is the source of all wisdom. Reverent fear.

I guess what I'm saying convolutely is the 'end is not the end and the beginning need not be the beginning' as far as the actions of ourselves and our predecessors go. In him there is redemption...therefore he is feared.

And that redemption isn't only for us either. It's for those who perhaps were the causers of pain in our lives.

Clare said...

What I find ironic is that Solomon was so wise, and yet so foolish. He carried on the golden age of Israel and was also ultimately responsible for her downfall to other empires.

I see myself in this a lot. How true that I know what is right and what is wise, and yet I don't live it.

You're right Garrick, we must live with wisdom, she's a wonderful lady.

Simon Elliott said...

I love something Eugene Peterson said in one of his lectures: 'I know so much more than I live and I don't live nearly as well as I talk'.

Anonymous said...

amen to all of the above!

Mikey B said...

One of the best ways I've heard wisdom defined is skill laced with experience.

I think that skill isn't always a practical, hands on thing, like Chris Judd with a Sherrin in his hands or Peter Costello with the Australian economy (bad Mikey, stop being silly), but it can be simply doing something really well and I believe that includes decision making and things like not taking the easy road just coz it's wide and straight.

Wise living is one that surely takes skill laced with a cord or ten of experiences.