Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

U2-ophiles...tripping through the wires

It seems clichéd to even mention U2 on Cacophony (although I did about 6 and 8 days ago). That's probably because it's expected and predictable but, what the heck, I've been riding the wagon for so long enough I may as well come clean: 'My name is Simon, and I'm a U2-ophile'.

The truth is, I reckon they're great on a bunch of levels: musical, spiritual and social. But I'm not here to do a 'You're Tops' on U2. I just spotted an essay by a Perth-ite, Peter, who has written about the spirituality within the luminous times of Zooropa and Achtung Baby. If you're keen, knock yourself out!

3 comments:

Gráinne O'Donovan said...

I'm keen.

I'm tempted to move on from U2. Now that everybody has cottoned on to their faith, the passion is dying out for me.





Nah. Just kidding.

Mikey B said...

Move onto Evanesence. There's some intense searching spirituality for you.


how can you see into my eyes like open doors
leading you down into my core
where I’ve become so numb without a soul my spirit sleeping somewhere cold
until you find it there and lead it back home

Wake me up inside
(I can’t wake up)
Wake me up inside
(Save me)
call my name and save me from the dark
(Wake me up)bid my blood to run
(I can’t wake up)before I come undone
(Save me)
save me from the nothing I’ve become

now that I know what I’m without
you can't just leave me
breathe into me and make me real
bring me to life

Bring me to life
(I've been living a lie, there's nothing inside)
Bring me to life

frozen inside without your touch without your love darling only you are the life among the dead

all this time I can't believe I couldn't see kept in the dark but you were there in front of me
I’ve been sleeping a thousand years it seems got to open my eyes to everything
without a thought without a voice without a soul don't let me die here there must be something more
bring me to life


The new secular Christian band!!!

Mikey B said...

Here's some more for y'all. Amy Lee knows how to write some intense lyrics doesn't she?

i tried to kill the pain
but only brought more
i lay dying
and i'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal
i'm dying, praying, bleeding and screaming
am i too lost to be saved
am i too lost?

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation

do you remember me
lost for so long
will you be on the other side
or will you forget me
i'm dying, praying, bleeding and screaming
am i too lost to be saved
am i too lost?

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation

my wounds cry for the grave
my soul cries for deliverance
will i be denied Christ
tourniquet my suicide