Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Friday, April 6, 2007

Good. Friday.

Today isn't like any other day we reflect on or remember. It's different.

History's course changed on Good Friday. After thousands of years of bringing sacrifices from our own efforts; from our own farms, by our effort, purchased for the purpose of sacrifice and atonement for a finite duration, the perfect and spotless lamb came. To take away the sin of the world. The spotless lamb shed his blood in obedience to his Father, so that the world might be saved not condemned. An old covenant for a new covenant. One perfect sacrifice carrying the imperfections and vileness of all humanity. Made once in obedience; resonating through eternity. Setting captives free, loosing chains that bound us and ensuring that the power of sin passes over the citadels of our lives because of the terrific sacrifice of God's own Son.

And me? I go free too. He hung and bled and died for me.

How can it be that you were the one on the cross, lifted for all our shame?
How can it be the scars in your hands are for me? You are the King of all.

Lord, your sacrifice, your blood and your cross overwhelm me. But what amazes me most is that you were obedient to the Father in the face of the painful knowledge of the cup set before you. I can tell myself that you were fulfilling your mission, that you were doing what you knew you came to do...but that sanitises the humanity of it all. You despised the shame for the joy of your Father. That's fully God and fully man. Fully good. Way more good than I can comprehend.

Amazing love how can it be that you my God would die for me?

No comments: