Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Occasional Ensemblee Series:
Revelation by the banks of St. Lawrence River

Cacophony's first occasional ensemblee steps aboard from the northern half of the earth. Ladies and Gentleman, please give a warm Cacophony welcome to Mr Gavin Eva.

Today, I needed to escape the daily hustle and bustle of the centre downtown Montreal streets, so I walked about 5 kms to the quiet banks of the St Lawrence River, and sat for a few hours. I read Psalm 86 which tells of God's ever present help whenever we need him—all we need to do is ask. Whatever situation we find ourselves in, God's love is there in the troubled storms of life and the unforgivable mistakes we make along the diverse paths we travel along (He snatched me from the brink of disaster). The last verse says it all for me;

As You, God, gently and powerfully put me back on my feet.
(The Message)
This made me think about all the unanswered questions in life that I have faced over the past couple of days.

1. Why is it that I take the common approach in life; and begin to rationalize my decisions dependant on what others are doing? I find that my mind will find any reason to find what is right/wrong, and if everybody else is doing it or not then it is not that bad. I believe the easiest way to answer this conundrum in life is my interpretation of the bait, and learning to steer clear of those moments (and what comes out of my mouth) through constantly renewing my mind. All I ask God is that he grants me the attitude of integrity; to have courage in the face of adversity, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing.

2. Why is it that I sometimes choose to take the easier path, rather than seizing the God-given opportunities placed before me? I know through my journey of life that God is more interested in my character than my comfort.

I figure God would not have allowed me this awesome opportunity to travel if I was not being greatly challenged to grow. Problems in life lead to perspective, perseverance, and perfection ('P' words); and the difference with successful people is not that they have less problems; they just handle those problems differently. I know that problems that bubble through to the surface for me cause me such frustration, heart ache and angst, yet I need to learn that is part of the growing process (pain is what makes me more human). The potential possibility for growth is inside us all, and yet sometimes I fail to discover my real destiny. Why did I miss the
opportunity and avoid speaking to the lady (the one with 'chicken bum' lips) at the hotel today who just wanted to tell me about what was happening in her life. Why didn't I give her my listening ear even for a few minutes? Why did I only start writing down my trials, struggles and elation after leaving everything behind in Perth. Why did I leave so many missed moments uncaptured?

3. Why does God only speak to us when we are ready to receive? As I lie in the lush green grass, see the magnificence that was created, soak up the sun, look down on the wide cobblestone road below, the century old market place buildings on my left, and the tremendous amount of water flowing in front of me; I start to feel some of God's presence. Why is it that in my vain efforts to achieve anything, be someone notable, and be recognized or
status driven; I forget about the simple fact that all God wants is for us to take time out and be still. I have discovered that worry and worship do not mix at all, and that all that really matters in life is God and relationships with people. I must keep reminding myself to take time away from what needs to be achieved daily, and spend more time in God's quiet presence.

I'll let Henry David Thoreau finish up for me:
A single rain makes the grass many shades greener. So our prospects brighten on the influx of better thoughts.

8 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

Ohhhh....Canada. Great to see you making a noise Gav.

I totally hear some of your questions. There's something about a different environment and setting (and it doesn't need to be a million miles away) that gets us reframing our world. Perhaps it takes us beyond ourselves for a change. Suddenly we see the world is just a little bigger than us and that perhaps our part in it is beyond us as well.

The challenge is to hold on to that as you encounter the brown industrial carpet that awaits as you descend into the picturesque surrounds of Kewdale, Welshpool and Midland on May 20.

Anonymous said...

Well, thanks for the prevelige of being able to share- and advise others that there is a deeper side to me.
I've never thought about the plains around the airport that way, made my evenin', cheers as I depart the quiet shores of Niagara to the melting pot of NY city....

garrick field said...

Gav, you never cease to amaze me with your depth. You are an inspiration mate.

I've found that there is something about the transient state of travel that forces change in you, you'd have to be dead not to change. My only worry about when our time is up here in Peru is that I will not have changed enough. As good old Che said "you can't change the world until you've let it change you" or something like that. but the beauty is that as Christians we have a handbook for the change, and a friend gently whispering in our ear "hey, maybe you should try this or that". Good old Espiritu Santo (Holy Spirity for those non Spanish speakers).

I look forward to catching up with you when we meet again and hearing all about your new map of your world. Love you bro.

garrick field said...

btw, i really didn't mean to say holy spirity - maybe speaking so much spanish you get used to making all your words end with the same sounds as that's how they are conjugated. so no irrevence intended, He's the Holy Spirit.

Simon Elliott said...

Pretty sure that if He hears your deepest groanings He's more than relaxed with a typo!

Mikey B said...

That's true but the rel holy spirity might be getting offended now.

GrĂ¡inne O'Donovan said...

A new place causes us to open our eyes; to see what is there. A familiar place - a home? - can become a place where we expect to see only what we've seen before.

Oh, for a single rain at home.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.