Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Church with crash helmets

Annie Dillard, from Teaching a Stone to Talk:

On the whole, I do not find Christians, outside of the catacombs, sufficiently sensible of conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we so blithely invoke? Or as I suspect, does no one believe a word of it? The churches are children playing on the floor with their chemistry sets, mixing up a batch of TNT to kill a Sunday morning.

It is madness to wear ladies' straw hats and velvet hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews. For the sleeping god may wake someday and take offense, or the waking god may draw us out to where we can never return.


Thoughts?

3 comments:

garrick field said...

Well, the worship is there to provide me with a mini concert right? a little live music action since i missed out on that hot gig the night before? If I reckon that the music is worthy of my approval, I'll raise my hands, but until they fix the EQ on the keyboard and the worship leader finds a bit more stage presence I'll remain reserved as a display of my disapproval in consideration that God deserves to hear a better offering of praise.

Simon Elliott said...

Uh-huh. Interesting though because, of late, I've probably seen more crash helmets than felt ones at Riverview...I don't think it has much to do with this quote though.

GrĂ¡inne O'Donovan said...

Wonderful imagery. It really hits the spot.