Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Kansas, or, The Medina of Nowhere

Mum’s tame bank manager thinks I should buy a home. The government is so convinced I should get into property that it’s offering cash incentives. I haven’t checked with the local cabbies, but I’m sure if I asked, they’d point out that houses have always been a solid investment. Paul Clitheroe says buying v renting is too close to call, but he’s only made a living out of financial advice, so what would he know? Anyway, apparently we’re all agreed; mortgages are the new black.

I really like the place I live at the moment, and I could buy it, if I wanted to. I call it the Bessel Vessel, which is a name as a vision statement, because I want it to overflow with good things. It has a north facing window – which I love - that looks out over flowering plums, and two bedrooms, and a bathroom with space for a washing machine. I love that there is always something going on in my complex; sitting in my apartment feels like sitting in your dorm room on a church camp – you just have to open the door to see something interesting. I love that there is a bus stop right outside my door with a bus that runs every half hour – even on Sundays – that can get me into the city in 12 minutes. I don’t love that my since my neighbour broke up with her boyfriend, she’s taken to drunkenly stumbling past my bedroom window at 4am most Saturday and Sundays. But given what I used to hear of their fights, his suffering was greater than mine.

I went looking for alternatives, and found a place which I’ve presumptively named Casa Kansas (as in, we’re not in…). It’s near a station on the new Southern Suburbs Rail Line, way down south – 35 minutes from the city at midnight on a public holiday. It’s a 2 bedroom brick and tile, probably 40 years old. It has hideous carpet and a terrifying kitchen, and the roof maybe sags on one corner, but there’s LAND. Hundreds of square metres – 728 of them, to be precise. I could see myself staking them out and counting each square metre off, just to wallow in the abundance. There’s space to plant trees, and space to build a shed, and those spaces aren’t the same space – I could do both! I’d love a shed. If I decided to hire a bobcat just so I could dig holes, I could do that, too. Digging holes would be almost as cool as a shed. I could have heaps of people over, and we could play music really loud, and I wouldn’t have to worry about waking up the crazy lady who lives underneath me – because there wouldn’t BE anyone underneath me!

Pastor T was talking about Lot, nephew of Abraham, on Sunday. (Oh, hey, this is off topic, but: imagine a pretty standard Sunday night CofC 'youf' service. Now go read the passage we were working from, Genesis 19:30-38. As observed, there was no flannelgraph version of that incident in Sunday School, but I pity the fool who would think it beyond the capacity of a Good Preacher to deal with the material. So, snaps to you Pastor T. Your GP status is ever more solidly established. Love your work.). Anyway, the connection was made between Lot’s enculturation into Sodom and his eventual (icky) downfall. I guess I shrugged – in-the-world-but-not-of-the-world, whatever, whatever, talk to me when you’ve got something I don’t know already… Which just proves that if you turn up the heat slowly, frogs like me won’t even fight.

The Bessel Vessel, and the wider triangle (work-church-uni) I live in is frankly well off, and I’m not talking about a naff ‘compared to the Third World’ kind of assessment. People are healthy – they have clear skin and good teeth and glossy hair. They make eye contact with strangers. Waitresses mostly smile back if you smile at them, and lots of them can calculate your change in their head. The roads are good, people spend money on their gardens, coffee shops litter the landscape.

In the shopping centre nearest Casa Kansas, every third store sells $2 tchotckes of doubtful provenance. There is a thriving pawnbroker but no franchised cafes. A Code of Conduct sits where my local shopping centre advertises wedding registries. The best maintained store in the place sells alcohol; the second best hires videos. There are kids everywhere, and not in decorous singles or pairs. They come in raucous multiples, four or five at a time, all sharing in the same genetic fortunes or misfortunes. Once school is out for the day, teens cluster like drifts of shed leaves over the carpark; I guess the local Maccas can’t employ them all.

I’d forgotten how nice my life is. I could call it privileged or blessed or fortunate, but they’re all comparatives, and the point is that I often don’t compare. I just mindlessly luxuriate in the deep pleasantness of the place and the way I live.

So do I buy in Pleasantville? I’d like to. My friends are here, it’s near uni, there are almost unlimited ways of distracting myself close at hand. I have a great church overflowing with talented, committed people, who use language like I do and have similar experiences of education and work. And I have 9CC, which is, well, my beloved 9CC.

Oz has its attractions too. A real house on real land is never going to be a possibility for me near the city. There are less places to go, so I might pay more attention to the place I am. I could be part of a small church, like the churches I grew up in. But the commute between Casa Kansas and work is likely to be an hour or more, and that’s the real prickle in the sock. In a world where discretionary time is more valuable than discretionary income, why would I voluntarily give up a sixth of my waking day?

And here’s where things get really pointy; what if God were to ask me to spend 10 hours a week on buses and trains and move somewhere my friends would never visit and go to a church full of people who aren’t like me? What if that’s the plan?

9 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

Always good to read you Karyn.

A whole lot of me wants to say, 'don't move a muscle'. Buy the vessel! I constrain myself because I'm probably biased. And yet, I then ponder my bias. It's community.

I've got a post brewing (i'm just waiting for a mate to post something that will allow me to slide in with mine) but in it I'll be on about the triangle created by our work, our church (or prime locus of community) and our home. I reckon the smaller the area of the triangle the greater the opportunity for intimate community. There's plenty of exceptions no doubt, but it's not a bad rule.

Moving into the 'burbs doesn't quarantine you, it just dislocates. Not insurmountably. You can drive, you can bus, you can train. In the government's priority, reverse that order.

For what it's worth, you're Vessel isn't going to decrease in value.

Anonymous said...

You know what I say; unfortunately take the plunge!! The feeling of ownership is such a powerful thing. The intoxication of a hard days work in your own back yard is devouring. I only know from 3 years ago, & the time/ effort I spent invested in my my own turf was pivital, changed my life.....

Simon Elliott said...

I'm with you Gav. Whether it's where you are or beyond shouting distance, take the plunge.

garrick field said...

take the plunge. we love owning our house, and I love the fact that it earns money for me even when I am sleeping!

but, location, location, location. for us living next to a train line and 5 mins from the city and 10 mins from oxford 130's was an absolute must. but your location priorities may be different. its up to you, but remember that your first home doesn't have to be your dream home (thats a lie that the banks sell to you to make you get a hugenormous mortgage) - your first home is your stepping stone.

Gráinne O'Donovan said...

Wonderful post, Karyn.

Location is sooo vital for both investment reasons (as a student of Clitheroe, I know you know this) and for community purposes. It CAN work if you and your friends are committed to making the distance a triviality.

I guess, having just moved to a new city (well, 18 months ago) and being in the throes of a possible job relocation back to Perth, I am at the point of asking - am I married to my job or my church? If so, then home needs to be feasible. But perhaps one or the other of them is about to morph into a new form. And perhaps Chez Kansas is somewhere you'd like to have as your neighbourhood.

Or not.

Maybe you'll live there for only a couple of years and then move on.

Or maybe you'll buy my perfectly divine 2 bedroom place in Como which is currently on the market! ;)

Simon Elliott said...

I reckon if you offer it to her at $300k she'll just about deliver the cash to your door...

Gráinne O'Donovan said...

Mmmmmmmm.

Simon Elliott said...

Yeah...just back then someone said they're coming back to Perth. Really? Really? When?

Gráinne O'Donovan said...

I will be there some time in the next week or two for an interview.