Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Why Post?

‘Post’: to display something in a public place

It seems that the sword has triumphed over the pen (temporarily, at least) as the efforts to persuade me to post have succeeded.

Money could not; incriminating publicity could not (see‘Paid to Post’ scandle descends into “Postgate”; Tue Feb 20, 2007), but finally the ‘pen’ has submitted to the latest threats of physical assault, recognizing that I value my health and well-being more than my sustained resistance against joining the avalanche of happy-go-lucky, carefree cyber-writers, web-posters, and ‘my-space’ bloggers (Although, now that I think about it, the threats did come by word in the first place, so what did actually triumph?).

So, having maintained silence for such a long time, I suspect by now the audience anticipation for the “debut Post” must be so greatly heightened as to surely guarantee disappointment. I would at this point draw your attention to the words of an ancient writer who was instructing a group of wayward-but-well-meaning church-goers, who stated, “I care very little if I am judged by you or any human court. I do not even judge myself.”

In light of such opening remarks, I assure you my debut contribution will be brief.

Actually, it is more of a question. Two words, but ample room for response:

“Why Post?”

Perhaps I could better capture the tone of my question by asking, “Why bother?”

I recognize that I picked up this attitude toward posting not because I actually believed it had no value, but, in being honest with myself, something in me didn’t believe that what I had to offer was of any value.

Maybe you can only value the work of another if you first learn to see value in your own.

11 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

Douggie! F

Fear is just weakness leaving the body! Welcome to the noise...

Simon Elliott said...

Beyond back-slapping though...Why post. Given an appropriate forum (which I trust we're in the process of building), posting stimulates thought for the writer and, in turn, the reader. For me, there's lots of potential 'ends' for a site such as cacophony. Here's a few:

1. Formation
This site won't make you whole, but perhaps some of the content will fuel you in the journey to becoming whole in Christ. While the content may be diverse and at times frivilous, the heart of the site is enjoying the kind of life we were created for. That comes through a careful exploration of who we are and the work we've been given, a continued understanding and deepening of our relationship with our creator, and saviour and those who form the community around us.

2.The craft
It's intended to develop and broadcast good writing. It's great to journal alone (and this should never take the place of that), but it's also good to be able to write/speak with an end in mind. It clarifies, it hones tone, and it forces you to communicate in a manner that meets a reader at eye level - not from a lofty height. So, in part, we post to develop craft.

I seemed blessed to know a bunch of people with bigger brains than me, and I have the chance to be a catalyst for digging for some of the gold that lies within...so we can all get to enjoy that.

I read a comment by Karyn Ash today (see 'Ponderous') and I thought, 'man, I just want to read more from this girl'. Some people are gifted in written communication. And we're enlightened in the reading.

3. The song
The underlying notion for the whole shebang is that there's a whole lot of noise and yet, within the noise, there's elegance and beauty. In word, in truth, in design, in community. Amongst the beautiful mess, there's holy intent. I don't just want to read about the small slither that we all understand to be holy and right. I also want to understand the breadth of Paul's words when he said: For from him and through him and to him are all things. There's music everywhere, sometimes we just need to have it pointed out by someone who might have spotted it.

There's 3 reasons to post...I'm sure it's a bigger iceberg than that though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
garrick field said...

why post? one reason, that what you write may touch others, spur them on in some direction or another, effect change in a lost (or found) soul, sympathise with someone who's hurting, make a friend (hopefully not an enemy), communicate or help form an idea that you've been working on, or just find an answer or different viewpoint to a question you've been trying to nut out. we never know what mystery lies behind the words that we put out there for others to read. when we communicate a bit of ourselves we are vulnerable, sometimes it may be the demonstration of that vulnerability that actually strengthens us for the collective good, than weakens us for the individual bad (does that make sense). write on....

Anonymous said...

yeah welcome Douglas! it's good to have you writing.

there have been some great responses to your question, with which i concur. but being the jacked-up beings we/i am, i think we can stir in some other thoughts about posting in general, so please excuse my playing contrarian momentarily...

in addition to what's been commented above, posting may be a great way to seek validation & approval with a global readership, to make points we may be too cowardly to make with people face-to-face, to manage our image(s) and how we want to be perceived, to participate in a kind of opt-in "community" and to sin in whatever creative ways we can invent.

our interaction with technology, like food / money / other people needs redemption. maybe in some small way the cacophony ensemble can play a sincere part in outworking that redemption and we can be transformed in the process. i reckon that might be a good reason to blog.

(but seriously, did you see that guy getting tased with 50,000 volts!)

Simon Elliott said...

Yeah - I think comments are a great source of anticipated affirmation and validation.

Mind you, I don't think they're as effective a gauge of love as junk mail. I get vast volumes of junk mail...I'm heaps popular. People love me and seem to have incredible insight into an obvious dark and treacherous side of me that I have no concept of. They don't just love me, they know me and love me!

But that's incidental. Heck, they love me...about 80 times a day.

Anonymous said...

tase 'em.

Simon Elliott said...

Oh yeah, I just remembered two of the main reasons I post/started cacophony:

1. I made a resolution to write more in 2007 and not to be shy in doing that publicly. I figured while a blog might require a bit of effort up front (what new thing doesn't) that, once created, it had the potential to become that platform - well, one of them.

2. I was listening to a podcast by a guy called Mark Battersea from a church in Washington DC. He was saying that while he leads/pastors his church and has all the functional relationships that make life tops, that he can 'speak' to the most people in a week through this medium. I thought...yep, I buy that. Not the only medium, but 'a' valid medium for communication of truth, goodness and spacious stuff.

ampster said...

because I can.
A

Anonymous said...

purchase tramadol tramadol hcl 37.5 mg - is buying tramadol online legal

Anonymous said...

phentermine prescription online buy phentermine online - phentermine online prescription consultation