Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

The ‘M’ Word

About a year after starting full-time work, I started wondering if things might be getting a little out of hand in terms of my shopping habits. I’m not talking about the occasional splurge on an unnecessary hat or a pair of really cute shoes that didn’t quite fit. It was when I started bursting into stores wielding my credit card like a weapon and yelling ‘WHO WANTS TO SELL ME SOMETHING?’ that I thought I may have become … well, materialistic.

As they say in AA circles, admitting you’ve got a problem is the first step, so I’m just getting this off my chest, yo. But if you’d like to identify whether you have a similar problem, I have written up a short questionnaire:

  1. If someone asks you if your jacket is new, do you answer "This old thing?" because you bought it last week?
  2. Do you switch the channel when those annoying World Vision ads come on?
    Have you shelved your copy of ‘The Thinking Woman’s Guide to Financial Security’ and taken up a subscription to ‘Shop Till You Drop’?’
  3. Have you developed an interest in camping so you can justify visiting Mountain Designs to buy all those cute gizmos and rain-proof pants and a keyring that can keep the time, start a fire and sing happy birthday?
  4. Do you excuse yourself from a work meeting so you can run back to your desk and place a last minute bid on an eBay purchase?
  5. Do you buy presents for friends half a year in advance just so you can justify a purchase?
  6. Do you then wait a day or two before unwrapping the present and putting it in your drawer because you remembered their birthday is in winter and they won’t need a new bikini in your size anyway?

If you answered yes to one or more of the above questions, you may need to seek help. Especially if you’re a guy that bought a bikini for yourself.

Am I putting forward a solution? I’ve gone the cold turkey route — no clothes for six months. I’m on month four and haven’t bought a single item of clothing since November but I’ve found plenty of loopholes. In the last four months I’ve bought a hell of a lot of shoes, two bags, a watch, earrings and developed a keen interest in haberdashery.

Obviously I’m not getting to the heart of the problem and I suspect that even a strict budget isn’t going to solve this for me — yeah, it’s going to be a wiser use of my money, but it’s not going to change the fact that I really like stuff. Stuff makes me feel good.

Things that I know to be true that counteract the statement ‘stuff makes me feel good’:
Jesus said not to store up treasures on earth.

  • Stuff isn’t ultimately fulfilling.
  • Stuff doesn’t make me a more interesting person – not sure if that’s true.
  • Me having stuff may mean that other people continue to live in abject poverty.

    >

  • 4 comments:

    Simon Elliott said...

    I'm cheering your cold turkey route. And, although it might seem harsh and unsustainable I actually discovered the opposite. A few years back, I pretty much cut all spending to zero as part of pursuing simplicity. What I found after I'd gone cold turkey for a few months (aside from having less debt and more cash) was that I was more aware of what I spend and why I spent.

    I also discovered that I didn't need a fraction of what I'd been existing on. And I become awaare of how much 'stuff' I had.

    I also found that I was more generous with my time and money and (sometimes out of necessity) creative with generosity.

    I became more environmentally aware too I reckon. (ie. How much do I waste? How long do I leave the tap on? How often to leave lights and appliances on that don't need to be?) Not because you intentionally decide to be anal, but you just become more aware of waste and simplicity.

    Seeing 'An Inconvenient Truth' was a real kick in the pants in that direction too...!

    Anonymous said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Karyn said...

    Hey! Stuff makes me feel good too!
    OK, yeah, it's not the deep lasting good. Well, except for some things: house bling; shoes that have garnered unsolicited compliments; books that look impressive when read on the bus. Britney Spears' Greatest Hits. But that's the thing. I know it's all moth-and-rust-and-thief prone. But stuff has an emotional effect, and people wouldn't get so into it if it didn't.

    I think you're right Kieran - it's about the sense of control it gives - which is fundamentally illusory, but in the here and now, seems pretty real. Being able to pay for a visit to the doctor is relevantly different to not being able to. And it's about the messages we are able to send each other: walking into a meeting in a drop-dead suit makes a difference.

    I guess that's the thing I notice: when we go chestnutting - money won't make you happy, you know - we don't do people the courtesy of acknowledging their actual experience. But if we make like it's ok to trust stuff rather than Jesus...

    Simon Elliott said...

    Yeah, nice Karyn.

    I think, given the nature of the post, it's easy to mount the bandwagon of simplicity (like I did earlier) - after all, it's a reasonable bandwagon to be on. Quite well-regarded in some circles too... But the deal that we can take a long time discover is that stuff is OK. Yep, you can have stuff. It can make life easier (it's 30-something degrees outside at the moment but I'm actually quite cool), it can make life more enjoyable (I'm gaining some pleasure from a laptop right now) and it can keep you warm in winter (yay for jumpers).

    The deal ends up being what owns you. I reckon that's Sezy's point in the first place: a realisation that insatiable desires are rarely satisfied (duh...).