Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Top 5: Single Malt Scotches

My father-in-law thoroughly corrupted me when I was attempting to woo his daughter by introducing me to the world of single-malt scotches. It's an expensive habit, but, in my estimation, one worth a gentle cultivation.

So here they are folks, Letterman style:

5. Oban, 14yo: It's a great beginners brew - a west highland malt without the set of nuggets on the Islay malts. Even so, it's by no means light.

4. Glenlivet, 12yo: Oh hello to our Speyside posse here. Look... there are some sherry notes in there, which gives it a butterscotch undertone. Still I wouldn't feed it to a 4-year-old.

3. Highland Park, 12yo: Hailing from the Orkneys, this is rich whiskey with a bit o' smoke but not much peat. It's made in the Northernmost distillery in Scotland. That has to be good...

2. Laphroaig, 10yo: Some peeps reckon this is the most richly flavoured of all the single malts and that's a mistake many beginners make. Peaty? Yes. Warm? You betcha. Sweet? Darn tootin'. Heck it's even a bit peppery. More shiraz than merlot, more sandpaper than tissue...

1. Lagavulin, 16yo: It's an Islay malt and it's one bad mutha. Serving suggestions include seatbelts because it's peaty, smoky and mediciney. Very naughty.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simon Elliott said...

All I can say is that I would bring shame to both of your households as the best I can do mask my grimace on consumption (and indulge the passion of my friends).

Alas, perhaps there is redemption for even the neandearthals of this geographically-specific beverage.

Anonymous said...

i love it when people are into something and willing to share their into-it-ness with others. unless it's boring...

Simon Elliott said...

I want examples of boring - for future reference and also to see how interesting they could become.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simon Elliott said...

So true. Whichever way you look at it though, poo tastes terrible.

Anonymous said...

although there are a number of pert little varietals coming through.