Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Monday, May 21, 2007

In praise of mediated texts

There are plenty of reasons why Simon and Fi’s ‘One Day in July’ holds the top spot on my Weddings-O-Friends Leaderboard and one of them is a cd. Seventeen songs attended my way on the drive to New Norcia last year, and they’ve attended most of the social events held at the Bessell Vessel since then too. As a cd, it’s a perfect mix of sweet songs and true songs and songs by Michael Jackson and it plays beautifully when driving or drinking coffee. But I don’t love it for the songs; I love it for what it tells me about Simon and Fi and the plans they had for that day.

A High Fidelity friend put together some cds for my birthday, and by the third time through, I realized that I actually have a thing for mixes. When I buy a cd, it takes ages to get beyond the assessment stage – do I like it, should I have spent the money, am I going to end up stashing the darn thing with the other embarrassing mistakes, Gwen…? But the HFF has pretty reliable (if firm) views on the tunes, so I came to it expecting good stuff – and there it was. Sure, there were surprises. And some stuff I can only shake my head at. Still, the whole thing feels like a meandering, generous, disputative conversation, and I like it.

It got me thinking: there are actually lots of things that I like better when they’re mediated through someone with a point of view. Thus: Nick Hornby published a collection of columns he wrote about books he’d bought and books he’d read, and it was officially the best thing that happened to me last summer. It helps that Nick can reliably elicit a chuckle and a half per page, but I felt like I’d read all the good bits, and skated lightly over the stodgy bits of the things he’d read. It was like getting dessert without having to eat my veggies, and given that the proportion of carrots to carrot cake in my reading diet is getting really out of hand, that was a Very Good Thing.

I haven’t had a tv for a while now, and I don’t miss it, mostly because I experience secondhand programming through televisionwithoutpity.com; it’s a case of secondhand being very definitely not second best. So, for example, I don’t care at all about American Idol – I don’t even care about Australian Idol – but host-of Ryan Seacrest as a cross between Frankenstein’s monster and Dorian Gray? Heh… Who’da thought a karaoke competition habitually won by outfits rather than singers could work better without sound or visuals?

Oh yeah. Remember the slow bits in Spiderman 3? (Which ones, you say? All of ‘em.) Now imagine sitting through them with the phrase ‘Evil Space Licorice’ running through your head. Way better, right? OK, I rarely go into a movie without being able to give a pretty good prĂ©cis of the major plot points. But I’m happy to give up being surprised in favour of being able to greet Spidey’s nemesis like an old friend. Dana and David come to the movies with me and they're good people to hang with.

It would be nice to have a point to make here. Maybe something about experiencing God through other people? The importance of both creation and interpretation? How 'bout: I'll bake for mixtapes!

13 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

He he...if you have a mp3 player of some description, I'll juice you up with the unexpurgated-and-painfully-edited to-fit-on-a-74-minute-CD version.

Without wishing to construe a story around your post, I think your joy is perhaps equally informed by the story that surrounds the creation as it is by any respect for the 'filterer'.

We love stories. And when there's more meaning added to something that was innately strong...it just gets better.

I met a singer/songwriter on the weekend and got to spend a bit of time with him. It changed how I listen to his music because now the backdrop has become as vivid as the subject. I think a narrative can do that.

Anonymous said...

i'm totally gonna make you a mix tape

Karyn said...

I'm totally gonna bake you a cake - I've got a recipe for lemon meringue pie that's dying for a workout...?

Anonymous said...

good times, good times. sounds splendid.

garrick field said...

great post karen - thoroughly agree (except your linked websites needed too much reading commitment from me, so i didn't read their mediated texts).
the one thing i'm cautious of though would be what kind of filter your mediator has applied - the one eyed supporter of a crap band (or movie or sports team), the dude with the whacked out sense of normality or humour, or the hurt christian who's got his sock on the wrong shoe about some theology or the role of the church etc.

obviously we'd only accept the mediation of a trusted mediator (aka the friend with the great taste in music), but the problem comes when we enter a new genre and don't quite know our up from our down. i guess i'm a fan of going to the source and mediating for myself. ie, someone recommends a book but i'm a very fussy reader - eg. a lot of the books a friend of mine reads just don't tingle my bells and its a total struggle to get past the first chapter (or page). someone says that i gotta check out a cd and its rubbish, not my genre, really frustrating production etc. so when it comes to God, i guess we choose wisely also and check out the source before accepting the filtered version.

one other little thought, while mixtapes are fun, they don't pay respect to the way the artist intended his song to be heard. this is an important bible type thing too - how many times do we approach a theme of bible study or church and see the theme picked and verses stuck in around the theme to make it all fit without reading the entire passage with context etc. i don't think that when it comes to the bible we're sposed to grab the good bits and leave the bits we don't like.

same with some albums, e.g. Joshua Tree - meant to be listened to from start to finish in one sitting, no skipping. this is the discipline needed to grasp what the artist/author/God is trying to say.

thats my little purist view of things!!

garrick field said...

but, i gotta say, i loved simon and fi's wedding mixtape - we listened to it on the way to the wedding and went "ohhh" at every song.

i'm a fan of the ipod playlist too - but that is birthed out of a secure knowledge of the song's origin.

Simon Elliott said...

Yeah, I hear you Garrick. In a related genre, it urks me when I hear a 'best of' CD where suddenly these great songs which had a certain gravity because of context are cheapened by simply becoming part of a bunch of songs that are considered to be great...objectively rather than contextually.

And yet I'm a big fan if a tidy playlist too. Go figure.

Karyn said...

You’re right, Simon – part of it is the story-aura that surrounds the artefacts. And in a sense, that’s independent of my relationship with the mediator; any story will do.

And you’re right too, Garrick, about being careful about who mediates and where they’re coming from. But even the Crap-Band Fanatics tell you something about themselves when they go on (and on!) about their honeyz, so I kinda feel like there’s value in most any review/compilation/assessment. I don’t do it often, but at the moment, I’m slowly wading through a novel that was recommended by someone I really respect. I’m pretty meh about the novel itself, but about every three pages I think, ‘I wonder why this worked for them?’ It’s been interesting...

garrick field said...

thats a good point karen - insight into others inner workings.

however, i'm a slow reader (i think my scientific background doesn't allow me to skim anything) so i choose very carefully what words on what pages will occupy my free time. simone read an entire book (300 pages plus) between the LAX departure lounge and Ecuador's airspace. in the same time i'd read about 2 chapters of my book. so if someone recommends me a book, it better be damn good. i give it a chapter - if its moderately "meh" i'll give it another chapter. if it aint got me by then its a time waster for me and will literally be like pulling teeth for me to slave my way through.

I literally chiseled by way through a rock of a book last year and damn it was painful, but i did it for the sake of educating myself on a topic. the same book my wife can devour several times over during a morning in starbucks (yes, sorry, starbucks - but to the thirsty even salt water seems attractive).

Simon Elliott said...

I stand as a witness to the delivery of one 'mix CD' from Joshua Richard Andrew Dunjey and testify to a previous commitment by the recipient to provide one lemon meringue pie in exchange.

Josh: can you invite me over when the motherload lands?

Anonymous said...

fo shiz my niz

Karyn said...

Just to finish this one off, the LMP was delivered Saturday... Allparties who may or may not have an interest in consuming said LMP should direct their queries to J. Dunjey...

Anonymous said...

Bearing in mind the comment: 'fo shiz my niz', I can only conclude that the mysterious 'Joshua D' has gone back on his word...

Ya punk.