Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Comic Sans will give you cancer

Yeah, probably not actually. But maybe... Anyway, I found these articles on Slate about the fonts people write in, and it got me thinking...

I wrote my honours thesis in Garamond; it seemed an appropriate choice for a work of architectural history. Not particularly easy to read (because architects don’t believe in comfort), pretentiously attractive (because architects believe in that sort of sexy above most everything) and slightly unexpected (because the only thing that trumps ‘sexy’ is ‘individual’ – as long as it wears head-to-toe black like all the other individuals). I love architects, really I do…

I’m back at uni now, hanging with the baby lawyers, and I still use Garamond. These days, it’s about being a mature-ager with history and associations, visually separating myself from the Times-and-Arial infants. Although you can tell they’ve grown up with this stuff; the fortnightly faculty gossip sheet credits a Layout and Design Officer

Work is all Arial, with Trebuchet headings. It reads as code for ‘trust us, we’re from the (naffly hip, and therefore trustworthy) government’. Like we’re Tony Blair, Triangulating The Third Way. Personally, I’d like to see something with a serif so I could pretend working for the executive branch was just like The West Wing, but I think WA's Sunny Frontier mentality singes the serifs off…

Anyway, my question is: what do you use, and why?

8 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

No, you were right to begin with: Comic Sans is life threatening. I can testify that I've nearly killed people who have used it. And, in extreme cases (and dark times) I've contemplated whether life is truly worth enduring if it involves another line of Comic Sans.

As for typefaces, us design folk are fickle and faithful all at the same time. We pay out on type-bashing yet at the same time pay out on typefaces that want to enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

If I was to name my typefaces of passion, they would be the timeless ones that have already proved themselves faithful to me over the long-haul. Even if I was besotted by a new flame, I probably wouldn't divulge it - that would both be an act of betrayal to my old friends and probably a one night stand that'll never last.

So, well and truly in the safety zone, here we go.

Just 5:

Mrs Eaves: there's nothing this lady will not do

New Baskerville: Mrs Eaves father (actually Mrs Eaves was the mistress of the creator of New Baskerville...alledgedly). Yeah, truly. Not a whole lot different from Mrs Eaves and yet...

Avenir: Sans serif and not trying to hard... thus more comfortably a classic

The Rotis Family: Invite them over sometime - they're a lovely lot.

Trade Gothic: Serviceable, versatile and a lovely bedmate for one of your one-night stands

The DIN Family: These guys are hip and in the 'hood yet they're happy to travel either up the front or the back of the bus.

Clarendon: These guys will change the colour of your day.

That's all for now. Probably be back later.

Simon Elliott said...

ok - that was 6. Still remarkable self-control I thought.

Anonymous said...

the company i worked for in australia was Swiss II, a custom font kind of like arial but with a certain sort of stylish funk to it, i really liked it, twas a pleasure to type.

nowadays i'm working with arial, its like having to drive a datsun after you've been cruising in a bmw.

Mikey B said...

Indeed, remarkable self-control Simon. Remarkable.

Here at work, company policy on all our official documents sent to customers is Arial Narrow, size 12.

We are not allowed to change it, I DON"T KNOW WHY!!!! I've asked and the answer is that it's just the way things are and stop stirring the pot.

I love Arial, you designers and so called "hip" folks poo poo it. It's dependable, reliable, tidy and solid. It's like my lucky underwear I've worn everyday since the Eagles won last year's premiership, I always know what I'm getting. It's the Jesus Christ of fonts. Enough of those fleeting fonts seeking their moments in the sun. Avoid the Scientology/New Age/Kabbalah fonts. Go with consistency, go with Christ.

I hear on the grapevine that the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible in Arial but the sin of man changed it to Times New Roman (I hate freakin TNR with a passion).

Your name is written on the palm of God's hand in Arial, size 11, don't ever forget it.

Anonymous said...

My Bible is typeset in Berkeley Old Style.

And Mikey - what you're describing with Arial Narrow is part of a corporate style guide. These are of the Lord and created, in large part, so people can't go ahead and use Comic Sans. As to why they would precribe Arial Narrow...probably not because it's particularly good, but because it's on everyones computer. Installing fonts is such a pesky thing.

Anonymous said...

From Slate:



Helvetica has weathered the transition from lead to digital type remarkably well. Since 1985, every Apple Macintosh computer—the choice of most graphic designers—has included Helvetica as a "resident font," meaning that Apple licensed the typeface and embedded it in the system's software. Microsoft, on the other hand, looked around for a cheaper alternative. In 1992, the company chose Arial, a digital Helvetica knockoff, as the default font in its Windows software. Since then Arial has spread like a virus, much to the dismay of graphic designers who dismiss it as a homely imposter.

Anonymous said...

bancomicsans.com

Cait said...

I've read an article, in which the creator of comic sans defended it's conception. "it was never intended to be used on anything but comic strips!" he cried! So, take the issue up with the users, rather than the font itself.
My typefaces on high rotation at the moment would include
(along with simon)
* Trade Gothic
* The Rotis'
(and here's some i prepared earlier)
* Wunderlich
* The Sans
* And the old faithfuls, Univers & Helvetica Neue (the same, but not at all).