Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Friday, September 28, 2007

How far is too far?

No, I’m not talking about dating in high school. I’m talking about to what extent we let something grab us—how much time, energy and money do we give to a particular passion/hobby/fixation?

Since embarking on the journey to making great coffee, I’ve met some extremely passionate people. These people sit as far as possible on the other end of the spectrum from those who see coffee as nothing more than a hot energy drink. For them, coffee is a story rooted in history, it’s a science, it’s a life-long romance. In the pursuit of consistent perfection, there are options such as single origin milk (milk from the same paddock of cows), heated debates on whether ‘to tap or not to tap’ and the availability of $13,000 espresso machines employing the latest technology. Those in the game say their mission is never complete; they will always be searching for new ways to perfect the espresso.

This kind of devotion isn’t peculiar to caffeine-lovers; one can go as far as one wants along any given path in the pursuit of excellence. If it’s the Lord of the Rings you’re into, you don’t need to stop at reading the book and watching the movies. You can learn the language of Elvish, join a virtual Middle Earth community and subscribe to the Lord of the Rings Fan Club glossy, bi-monthly magazine.

If it’s mountain climbing that takes your fancy, you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars buying the necessary equipment (and life insurance) and hundreds of hours training mentally and physically.

I find this single-mindedness and wholehearted dedication to pursuing excellence inspiring. These sort of people often make good business people because it’s always easier to sell something you’re sold on yourself. They’re also the sort of people who corner you at parties to tell you all about their passion.

I think the apostle Paul was a fan of extreme devotion. (He might also have been a bit annoying at parties). He tells Timothy in a letter: “Pursue a righteous life—a life of wonder, faith, love, steadiness, courtesy. Run hard and fast in the faith. Seize the eternal life, the life you were called to…”

I think we’re wired to get into things. It’s interesting that when something is taken to the extreme, there’s often no other way to describe it other than in religious terms. In espresso, the perfect shot is called a ‘godshot’. Those who stand on the top of Everest usually describe it as a spiritual experience. And we all know Lord of the Rings geeks are part of a cult.

So the answer to how far is too far? I think the sky’s the limit. The challenge is to apply our passions to the way we relate to God and our purpose for being here—to wholeheartedly pursue righteousness. Is there something you’re into in a big way? That’s great. Just try and demand the same level of devotion from yourself in regards to your faith.

Any suggestions as to how this can be done?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my simplistic/complex measure would be that when 'grace leaves the room' we've gone to far.

If my pursuit of righteousness turns inwards and becomes about me being right and deciding whether or not you're wrong, grace has left the room and I've gone too far.

If my desire to perfect the 'god-shot' means you have to desire the particular coffee I want you to drink rather than discovering what you want, grace has left the room and I've gone too far.

If my desire to be a Lord of the Rings groupie means I can't tolerate the 'Trekkies' of the world, perhaps grace has left the room and I've gone too far.

I'm all for getting into things, going hard and throwing myself into things, but I've found grace to be the perfect guage of where my heart has gone in all the excitement. That's not a one-time revelation...

If our chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him for ever, the biggger question is how I'm doing that in my devotion to whatever. What is satisfying me and what's my bigger picture and fuel?

Sherri said...

I agree with you Simon. Stop trying to shove your coffee down my throat, I want instant, ok? Eww... that's not even funny.

I'm all for pursuing your passion and doing what you love but I do think there is a fine line between passion and idolotry.

Are we pursuing what God has created more than we're pursuing Jesus? Dang... I'm totally guilty.

Simone said...

How can it be done? Well the more you spend your time and energy with a particular interest, the more informed you become and often the more convinced that everyone else needs it too. The more time we spend in God's presence should bring about this desire to live as He commands, to know more grace and to share it with wisdom and passion. Like you said, its easier to impart that passion to others when you are totally sold on it yourself. So how much then are we really sold on it and how much do we just like to think we are?