Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Friday, June 8, 2007

In praise of the caffeinated beverage
Part Two: The Third Place

Much has been written about the Third Place. I'm just going to throw it out there rather than get all academic on its ass.

The notion is simple. We live and sleep, we work, and we do whatever else we do. Our home is our first place (live and sleep). Our workplaces/study-places are our second place (work). And that leaves our Third Place—our other place (or places). These are the places where community is cultivated and enjoyed. Probably a place to be renewed or revived. And definitely a place to hang.

The Third Place comes with challenges and opportunities for Jesus-lovers.

For centuries, the Third Place was the church. Traveling through old towns across Europe you see the same agglomeration of functions and buildings again and again. The church was (or is) the centrepiece of the town. In older Australian towns it's often the Town Centre or Town Hall. Predominantly though, in towns the world over, it's the church right there at the fulcrum. It was the dominant meeting place and the dominant place to invest your disposable time. When you weren't working and weren't sleeping or feeding your family, you were active in your local church.

Many years later, Howard Schultz, founder of Starbucks made a critical observation: we've lost our Third Place. We still have homes, we still have jobs. But we've become insulated from the world by those first two places and we've begun to view the church as irrelevant. It has ceased to be the critical Third Place it once was. And it's left an unoccupied void for many.

In his book, The Great Good Place: cafés, bookstores, bars, coffeeshops, hair salons and other hangouts at the heart of community, Ray Oldenburg investigates and explains the Third Place that Shultz found essential to the success of Starbucks. The Third Place, says Oldenburg, is where people congregate to find a sense of community outside of the home and workplace. By their nature, humans have a desperate need for somewhere to meet friends or take solace in the familiarity of both people and their surroundings.

Shultz sought to create Starbucks as a viable Third Place. Whatever you think about Starbucks isn't particularly relevant here. The deal is: Third Places are important because community is important.

A host of emergent church blogs talk about the significance of the café as the Third Place. I think the deal is that God colours can emerge wherever we are. Rather than working out how we can turn cafés into churches (not that it's a bad idea) or capture a caffeinated crowd and get 'em into church, I think we need to bring Jesus into our Third Places—wherever they are. The café is without doubt a Third Place. So is your favourite bar, or pub, or hair salon, or sporting club. Wherever you spend a chunk of your non-work, non-home time and enjoy or create community—that's your Third Place.

The important thing is to have one (or some).

The church is a brilliant Third Place. In its beauty, Third Places don't come as spectacular as the church. For Jesus-followers they're a a contextualisation of what's pre-eminent in our First and Second-places. But they're not the only Third Places. It's just as possible for churches to fail as vital Third Places too, so I'm not assuming that church equals great Third Place.

Jesus had Third Places. They were all over the shop. Mostly other people's houses. Friends, tax collectors et. al. He spent time in the synagogues too and, as an itinerant, called home wherever he lay his hat. Jesus formed, challenged and created community wherever he went and in many ways redefined what was acceptable as a Third Place—before we started calling it a 'Third Place'.

Here's another interesting thought to ponder: the size of your triangle.

There's an obvious triangle to be formed by the connection of your work, home and Third Place/s. There's no prescription here, but if you work in Joondalup, live in Mandurah and have a Third Place in Mundaring, chances are you true Third Place is probably your car. The proximity of your places is in large part about convenience, but it's also about community. Asking your next-door neighbour along to church (or a coffee) in Mundaring might be a bit of a stretch, but five minutes away?, that's not too much of a challenge.

There's an intentionality in urban planning these days to engender community and facilitate the Third Place. I think we need to play our part too. Some of the most vibrant communities are either villages or built around the principles of a village—a small collective of homes and businesses that share their lives together. It's not as though there's a magic distance for the dimension of a triangle that will produce community. It's more that there's a social, environmental and economic priority or benefit to keeping the distance low.

There's a balance that's created by having distinct places. The ideal isn't to live in the basement of the church where you work. Good on you if you do, but you'd be best to find a place beyond those walls where you can a) get some sunlight and b) enjoy and be part of building community.

It's easy enough to have a 100 metre triangle yet remain utterly disconnected from those around you. So, I figure, it's more about being intentional in our decision making. Intentional in building community and intentional in finding your Third Place. And intentional (or thoughtful) about the proximity of those places.

There's way more to chew over as far as Third Places go. Plenty that's already been written from a variety of perspectives. I'm just adding to the commentary really. Like you.

Got a Third Place? Looking for one?

17 comments:

All Blog Spots said...

nice blog

Simon Elliott said...

I hope cacophonists are reveling in the depth of commentary provided by the previous two folk.

Clare said...

Tell me about it, these sort of comments challenge my view of the world and my place within it. J/K.

I always thought my Third place was church - as in the shed we go to, until I started working there. First and Second places started to bleed across into the Third and it wasn't too cool.

I've found that church was less about the gathering we facilitate every week and more about the intentional community I was devloping. Not a new thought, but it was to me, two and a bit years ago.

So after a few months of resentment, confusion and weariness, I rediscovered my Third place. I rescued it and made it sacred again. It took a while - true community usually does - but it was worth it.

So maybe my third place is less about a geographical place (although Leederville is a keen contender) and more about who I live my life with.

I'm finding that my Third place is a 'them' rather than an 'it'.

Mikey B said...

I'm with you clare, I feel much more in a 3rd place with a people base than a physical location.

Simon Elliott said...

Yeah, I hear you both. I think the idea of the Third Place having any geographical specificity is more a product of the fact that the First and Second Place generally do.

Having said that, I'm still an advocate for their being actual places to some degree. There's something about changing place that moves headspace as well. Not being aware of these separate spaces can often lead to a complete absense of them - particularly when the rest of life is going crazy.

Clare said...

Simon, I definitely advocate for a geographical place, the more I think about it I realize that my third place is a little triangle within itself - Leederville, Mt Lawley, Burswood. Triangles within triangles...

I understand the importance of place here but I wonder what it means to have your third place found in people? I hope it doesn't have any major implications on my humanity, salvation, future generations or the well-being of the planet....

Simon Elliott said...

Particularly if you subscribe to a theology that envisions our eternal place being the perfect restoration of all our third places...

Clare said...

Simon, I noticed this afternoon that it felt really weird to answer your question regarding Leederville by saying, "because it's my third place". The 'my' felt wrong because my third place is more shared with the people I live with. Just goes to show how much of my life is wrapped up in community...

Simon Elliott said...

Hmmm...I'm not sure there's anything about 'my third place' that implies exclusive possession.

To say 'my 'hood' or 'my posse' or 'my community' doesn't mean that you own it, but that you share it.

I reckon you should own the fact that you share it!

Clare said...

Posse. Hilarious.

I guess I'm sensitive to words as well as colours.

Simon Elliott said...

I reckon you're overdue for a post ZP.

Clare said...

Tell me about it! Right now, I'm desperately trying not to think about an upcoming mini-series, and more about this guy Montanus, who ran around the early church with a couple of chicks proclaiming eschatological prophecies and thinking he was the next form of revelation from G-d.

Also rethinking my sentence construction.

Simon Elliott said...

Montanus...doesn't he sit on the front row a little to the right on a Sunday night?

Clare said...

No that's Jesus-man. I like his robe. Actually, if we're talking about the same person I think his name is Patrick. Cool guy, don't you think?

Mother passes on a message through Cacophony, once again, to say that you may now call her 'Director'. She says they wouldn't give her the title 'goddess'...

ToNyAKAsErG said...

can my 3rd place be the cacophony? JK.. but i sure think that cyberspace is becoming my 3rd place.. help

Gav said...

I found whilst travelling that my third place was really a location where I could separate myself from the crowds, find relative peace, connection with my maker, a good coffee, and then write away or worship. So since returning to the great southland, I am yet to establish my third place as my life returns to some form of normality. Travelling really altered my perspective on the really important aspects in life; relationship with God and people (as identified by Clare and Mike above).

Following on from Mr Elliots post- Major dissapointing observation while I traversed on my adventure, the old culturally rich city centers I explored had been infested with western influence (mostly in European countries). So the central buildings (some 3- 400 year old churches & Town Halls) where next to McDonalds and Starbucks.
More to come while I gather my thoughts.....

Anonymous said...

miss beautiful clare, jesus mans name is robert.
nice
A