Somewhere in the noise is a song. Somewhere in the cacophony is a melody—a sweet sound. The ensemble is our attempt to discover the rhythms, the groanings and the eureka moments of life amongst the noise.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Occasional Ensemblee Series:
Mikey B gets his jury on.

I got home yesterday and checked the mail. Wow, how exciting! What a dynamic fun-filled life I live. You're right, I don't. I have a toddler and a 6 month old, getting the mail is my equivalent of a single person going to da club and picking up.

Anyway, the pity party is over. In the mail was a summons for jury duty. Yep, the opportunity for me to do my civic and national duty has arrived. So why do I have the urge to join about 95% of Australians and want to apply for an excusement of attendance? Surely I should want to do my bit for the country and the principles upon which it stands? Surely there are things that are more important than my desires? Maybe Dennis Denuto was right in The Castle? Maybe it is about the constitution? Maybe I just want the swine found guilty by default? Maybe I can't be stuffed waiting around a court house with a bunch of ferals in case some lawyer in a funny wig wants me to sit there with 11 other poor souls and listen to evidence that demands a verdict (thanks Josh McDowell). HELP ME!

It's even worse for me as I wasn't born here. I actually wanted citizenship and national identity of this mighty fine nation called Australia. I actually signed up for this. Most of you lot were Aussies at birth so you didn't know any better. I knew this was a possibility. It was part of the questions they asked me.

I have been summoned before but had a genuine reason to get out of it but this time I kind of could get out of it but probably it's not a genuine hardship to do jury duty. Surely it's truly Australian to want to opt out, to weasel out of this? Wouldn't any true blue Aussie do the same?

Am I being stupid? Are you with me? What would you do? Hey, what would Jesus do (hehehehe)? Help, advice required, interaction needed!

4 comments:

Simon Elliott said...

Well I'm with you Mikey - I'd do all I could to bail...or post bail. Having said that, if checking the mail is the most dynamic that happens in a day then perhaps a courtroom could provide the fodder for dinner party conversations, water cooler chats and random interactions. I find people switch of about half an hour after a conversation regarding junk mail strikes up. Dunno why, direct marketing is such an effective tool of communication.

Anonymous said...

nah, jury it up man. about halfway through the trial stand up and yell "I want the truth!".

Simon Elliott said...

c'mon Garrick, you know you can't handle it.

Simon Elliott said...

So, Mikey, when does it all happen?